11.16.2004

god loves sushi rice.

as do i, of course. i bought a 5lb bag from that asian market on saturday so i made some today. yay, it was yummy and sticky, just like tasty take-out chinese rice.
i read michael connelly's lost light today. it was not bad, in a hard-boiled sort of way. it perpetrated stereotypes and had a lot of cliches, but after the last two it wasn't too bad. anyone have good book ideas for me? my favorite authors are pat conroy, nick hornby, alice sebold, frank norris and later dean koontz (the ones without aliens). i need new reading material.
oh, and in the name of christmas and giving and all that, i've started a christmas list blog so you know what to get me. i've linked it right below my resume, because it's probably best for me to get a job before a tom lehrer box set.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

For I have also had chinese food today and apparently share many things in common. Why are women evil? Please explain their sway attempts to be nice and actually be blatantly disrespectful? This is in regards to a story that you will hear sometime soon...

Ta Ta
~Ivan

glomgold said...

Glutinous rice kicks that Uncle Ben's crap around the room and then some! Perhaps this is the way for me to go as well; for X-mas, ask for nothing fancy just a job.

MooCow said...

Book suggestions in no particular order:

Bill Bryson - A Walk in the Woods is probably the most nature-y but I also really enjoyed I'm a Stranger Here Myself

Jonathan Franzen - The Corrections: It's good, long, but a satisfying read

Christopher Moore - Completely silly in that over the top Monty Python kind of way. My personal favorite is Bloodsucking Fiends

David Sedaris - Fucking funny yo. I'd suggest starting with Naked or Me Talk Pretty One Day

Augusten Burroughs - Running with Scissors was his first book. Another memoir, but Burroughs is way more screwed up which makes it funnier at least to me.

Susan Orlean - Orchid Theif: The current book we're reading in my book club. You might find a lot of the Florida history interesting.

America's best non required reading 2004 (or 2003 or 2002) - short stories from a variety of publications (everything from comics to the onion to vanity fair to atlantic monthly).

I'm currently reading a book called "Population 485" by Michael Perry that's fantastic but it might be more of a regional book...

That's all I can really think of off hand...

aprilbapryll said...

thanks, luke. adaptation was one of my favorite movies, and i've looked at picking up the orchid thief but i just hadn't yet. i'll try out a few of your suggestions this weekend!

MooCow said...

Oh and since you're a big English major dork like I am "Eats Shoots and Leaves." A book all about punctuation that's actually funny - no really. It got me using more dashes in my writing and I'm cutting down on my unnecessary commas.

glomgold said...

That "Eats, Shoots, & Leaves" book is pretty funny but I'm a comma addict.